Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thanksgiving around the corner!




What are your Thanksgiving plans? Tell us about them in the comment box. I've been so busy lately. My husband had major surgery, I just completed a book and I'm starting to write another! As well, I have one that is releasing any day now called, "Rooted in Love: Our Calling as Catholic Women." You can check that out on my website: www.donnacooperoboyle.com.

Can you believe that Thanksgiving is only ONE week away? I can't. The days zip by--a reminder to us that we need to seize every moment to pray and be a wonderful witness of Christ's love to others. 

Did you ever pause to consider that God gives you an amazing opportunity to evangelize at your Thanksgiving dinner celebration? When you gather around your family table at the heart of your domestic church, you bow your heads to thank God when you pray your Grace Before Meals, followed by a Hail Mary or whatever you feel called to pray. You may have relatives who have joined you at the table who don't share your faith or who have left the faith. You might have grown children who have turned their backs on God. But, you're all there together breaking bread. Pray in advance that you can be a mighty light to all gathered, all by God's grace. And, whisper up a prayer while seated at your table that God will touch everyone deeply.

Hang on to your Thanksgiving traditions and continue to gather the family and other guests to your table to break bread, share stories and laughter. Who cares if the gravy burns or you forget the rolls in the oven! You'll laugh about that later, hopefully. For now, bask in the moments together, We really don't know what tomorrow will bring. All we have is now. Now is our time to pray and love.

For now, I'll leave you with a radio segment from a previous Thanksgiving regarding making Thanksgiving dinner and being together on the holiday, "Keeping it sane, simple, and holy" with Teresa Tomeo and me on our radio segment, "Mom's Corner."

Don't forget to leave your comments below, I'd love to hear from you. Share with us what you plan to do or perhaps a recipe.

God bless you and yours!

7 comments:

Gail said...

Hi Donna-Marie,
Our Thanksgiving plans are pretty simple. We'll have three relatives from out-of-town join us. In the morning, my children and I will deliver meals to the home bound and those who might not have a Thanksgiving meal.
We've done this for 15 years, and it's one of our favorite family activities.
My oldest son still remembers one boy excitedly telling his relatives when the meals arrived that each family member had their own food. I'm glad my son still remembers that and that it moves him.
By the way, "Happy birthday!" Isn't your special day coming up? My baby is turning 14 on the 20th!
Love and prayers,
Gail

Lorraine said...

God bless you, dearest Donna-Marie!

Just my husband and I on Thanksgiving. We can't afford a turkey, so we will have chicken instead, and I will bake my famous Pumpkin Cheesecake. Thanks be to God, cream cheese went on sale this week!

God is good! And we have much to be thankful for - you are included. I am so grateful to have met you!

God bless you!

Lorraine

Lorraine said...

Here's the recipe for the yummy Pumpkin Cheesecake in case anyone wants it:

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Libby_s®-Pumpkin-Cheesecake-AllRecipes

Lorraine

Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle said...

Dear Gail,

Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful story. It is heart warming to know that you and your family bring meals to the unfortunate each Thanksgiving morning - how very selfless to give of your family time in that way and how precious to leave that legacy to your family, and really so many more. God bless you as you do it again this year.

Yes, you're right, my birthday is coming up. It's the day after Thanksgiving! I was a Thanksgiving baby (actually born just 10 minutes before Thanksgiving).

God bless you and yours!
Donna-Marie

Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle said...

Lorraine, thanks so much for sharing, your famous pumpkin cheesecake sounds delicious! What a lovely tradition. Thank you for sharing your famous recipe too. Maybe I'll make it this year!

You are so kind to include me in your list of thanks. You are a blessing to me as well.

God bless you and yours!
Donna-Marie

Lorraine said...

Donna-Marie, it is so easy to make and, if you have a problem with sour stomach, you don't have to put the sour cream topping on. I often don't put it on - instead, I make my own whipped cream and put that on the pumpkin cheesecake when I am ready to serve it. It hides the cracks in the cheesecake too! Plus, it tastes so good!!

It is good without anything too.

I've been making this cake for years. It is one of the best recipes I ever found.

Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle said...

Lorraine,

Your recipe sounds so delicious that if I have time, I'd love to make it for Thanksgiving!

Happy "almost" Thanksgiving!
Donna-Marie